2018 marks the 2nd year of the Best of GPK awards. This year saw two well received US retail sets, the first two foreign GPK sets in years, a smattering of online sets, and a whole lot of new licensed merchandise. So what were your favorite things GPK in 2018? It’s your turn to help choose the Reader’s Choice awards!
Not only will you be helping to choose the winners, but you can win as well! Everyone who fully completes a ballot will be randomly entered into a drawing for a sealed box of 2018 UK Garbage Gang! Click on the link below to visit GPKNews.com’s Facebook Page, and cast your ballot now!
Read on for an explanation about how the categories and nominees were chosen, along with the fine print of voting.
Here are the categories to be voted on this year:
- 2018 Retail Set of the Year – Four nominations this year, did you prefer one of the regular retail US sets or one of the European reprint sets?
- 2018 Online Set of the Year – Less sets than 2017, but still a number to pick from. Only sets released in 2018 are eligible.
- 2018 Licensee of the Year – 2018 was another great year for GPK merchandise. Which company did it best this year?
- 2018 GPK Rookie Sketch Artist of the Year – To be eligible an artists first official Topps GPK sketch cards have had to appear in a set in 2018. Three sets contained sketch cards, We Hate the 80’s, Oh the Horror-ible, and GPK Memes. A “rookie” might be someone new to Topps or a longtime Topps artist doing their first GPK cards. Less rookies in 2018 than in years past. All nine eligible appear on the ballot.
- 2018 GPK Sketch Artist of the Year – To be eligible an artist must have had official Topps GPK sketch cards appear in a set in 2018. Three sets contained sketch cards, We Hate the 80’s, Oh the Horror-ible, and GPK Memes. Sketch rookies are eligible in this category. Once again there were nearly 70 sketch artists that did sketches in 2018! Don’t see your favorite on the list? Feel free to choose the write-in option and vote for them!
- 2018 GPK Artist of the Year – To be eligible an artist must have painted an official Topps GPK final published card in 2018. Retail and Online sets are eligible. Don’t see your favorite on the list? Feel free to choose the write-in option and vote for them!
- 2018 GPK Card of the Year – All GPKs published in 2018 are eligible. Retail and Online cards are eligible. For nomination purposes if a/b versions are available, only the “a” card is listed. There are hundreds to pick from! Don’t see your favorite on the list? Feel free to choose the write-in option and vote for them!
Categories and nominees were chosen by the Editor of GPKNews.com. Categories such as best artist, sketch artist, rookie sketch artist, and best card also contain a write-in option. Write-in votes will only be counted for a valid artist/card. Voting will be live from Friday 12/14 through Friday 12/21 @ 8:00 PM. Voting will only be done through Facebook. Participants can only vote once. Vote totals or individual votes cast will not be made public. Winners will be revealed in a future article that will appear on GPKNews.com right around the 1st of January.
Contest Rules: Only one vote per person allowed. Only a fully completed ballot will count as an entry. Contest is open at the same time period as voting for the awards. Winner will be randomly chosen from all eligible entries.
Excellent work and many thanks to all of the artists!
Best card for me is Amy T Ville.
Best sketch artist David Gacey.
Quinton Baker did a most amazing job